Wednesday, March 5, 2008

So you think your Nursery is cute...

I've been thinking how different things are today from the 8O's when we did our Nursery. As Jayna & Christy have been getting ready for their babies and picking out (matching) furniture and decorating their Nursery's it has brought back so many memories. Today's Nursery's are totally planned, coordinated, & styled down to the last detail with the latest & greatest or "stylish- polish" as Grace says. Babies are so popular now! They have so many cute & functional things! Okay, so here is how ours came together way back when. Our crib was brown, a Jenny Lind brand (at the right- piled high with blankets made by the sewing crew; Grandma Cele, Grandma C, Granny B & me). We bought a crib, mattress & a high chair new and found everything else at yard sales. We went to Grand Central (where MOR is now) in Boise to buy them. I think the crib was $89, matress $25, and the high chair was $20. It was so much fun getting everything ready (some things never change) Grandma C. & Granny B. made a cute yellow & white checked quilt with yellow ribbons on it, a matching dust ruffle and a cute Bumper pad to match with ducks on it. Notice the matching wall hanging of the duck (pretty cool huh?). Grandma Cele made the most adorable curtains. I bought these sturdy dressers for about $15 I think. I spent hours sanding them (and the lead paint too, all while I was 6 months pregnant) and painted them white with yellow trim and knobs. I thought they turned out so cute. This was way before ultrasounds and we had no idea what we were having, so white & yellow seemed like a good idea. We also found the cutest old changing table - a 1950's model I think - it was white wicker with 4 drawers that pulled out to the sides. It was adorable & I think would be coveted even today. I had a hanging Macrame shelf (upper right- that I made in Relief Society with a mixer & beaters - don't ask) which held baby necessities such as: baby powder, baby oil, Q-tips, alcohol, Baby Magic baby cream (that smelled so great!). I had all the baby stuff that is now banned and considered unsafe! Things really have changed but at the time we thought it was just great & it matched perfectly the paneling in our trailer house :)

2 comments:

Gabe & Christy Beal said...

I think my fear of birds was a direct result of that giant homemade duck that stared over at the crib...

Gabe & Christy Beal said...

ps - I had pencils back on my blog today...very strange