Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Nashville Star

If you're having American Idol withdrawals you could watch season 6 of Nashville Star. I've never watched it (or even heard of it) until this year and I have to say it's pretty good! I was skeptical but must say I am pleasantly surprised. Billy Ray Cyrus is the host (not as good as Ryan Seacrest by a mile but okay), the judges are John Rich, Jewel and Jeffrey Steele (not as good either). They have Stars perform each week just like Idol. Taylor Swift performed a couple of weeks ago and did a great job. The contestants will fight to win a recording contract and earn the opportunity to perform at the Summer Olympics in Beijing. What is different from Idol (aside that it's Country Music) is that the performers are individuals, duos or groups. Some of the standouts are:
Pearl Heart, a trio comprised of 20-year-old twin sisters Amy and Angela Krechel, and their 17-year-old sister Courtney. They are amazing and could win.

Duo 18-year-old Laura Fedor and 16-year-old Sophie Zalokar have been best friends for seven years, having met while in a choir group called the Singing Angels. They don't date, don't go out, just sing. They are both great!

Gabe Garcia (Dan's favorite) is a 28-year-old engineer from a huge family. He has a classic country voice and pulls the song off nicely. “All my ex's live in Texas / that's why I hang my hat in Tennessee”--seriously, that song is the right way to do puns. Anyway, the judges loved his pure country voice and think he'll do well.

Ashlee Hewitt is a 20-years-old and is one of 13 kids that all live together on a ranch out in the middle of nowhere. I like her tone a lot, it's modern and sweet. I predict her to win the competition!

32-year-old mother of five, Melissa Lawson is really great! The judges completely love her and think she hits it out of the park.

19-year-old Justin Gaston (part time model) was eliminated last night and I'm sure he'll get by somehow with his good looks. I actually enjoyed his performance last night with "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun".

Check it out if you have some free time! The singers are really good even if you don't like Country Music. I don't find it twangy at all.

2 comments:

Gabe & Christy Beal said...

ill have to watch this! So you think you can dance just isnt cuttin the mustard for me!

Crandall Family said...

This is way better than YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE!