Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Secretariat


Dan has been reading the book Secretariat which he got for Christmas. He just loved it. Now with the movie out we have been talking about it. I told him I remembered the race from when I was 13 years old.

The past 2 months [just in case you've been wondering where I was] I have been sorting through box after box of my old things stored in the attic and then scanning them into the computer. I have decided to write my life history - finally! I am doing a book online and am starting with my birth up until I got married. My growing up years. I have found amazing things long forgotten. Fortunately for me I never threw anything away! I am so excited to be working on this project. Dan is busy on his lawsuits, so we sit side by side working away at our computers breaking only to eat or go swimming so we don't get DVT.

One of the things which I found was my newspaper clipping of Secretariat that I clipped from the Idaho Statesman Sunday paper June 10th, 1973 and yes, I have kept it all these years. I thought it was amazing race [June 9th] that Secretariat had run! He became the first Triple Crown winner in 25 years with a Belmont Stakes victory that was destined to become a legend. He won by 31 lengths and still holds the record at 2:24 flat for the 1 1/2 mile race. We usually bought the Sunday paper after church from a vending machine in Baker City, Oregon. It was a 45 minute drive to church and we didn't always make it but this Sunday we did , so I was glad. We didn't have a TV at the Radar Site (on Dooley Mountain with no electricity or running water for that matter) but we did have a battery radio and I had listened to the race on. Even at 13 years old with my limited knowledge of horse racing I knew that this horse was something special. For days to come it was the only thing on the radio!





Photobucket

1 comment:

Julia said...

that is amazing! I keep things like that too.. it's hard to throw away!