Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mother Dear I Love You So




I love the words to this Primary song 'Mother Dear'

Mother dear, I love you so.
Your happy, smiling face
Is such a joy to look at;
It makes home a lovely place.
Mother dear, I love you so.
Your lovely, shining eyes
Are just like stars that twinkle
Way up in the bright blue skies.
Mother dear, I love you so.
I’ll try the whole day through
To please our Heav’nly Father.
I’m so glad he gave me you.
Words: Maud Belnap Kimball, 1889–1971
Music: Mildred Tanner Pettit, 1895–1977

A Mother is a wonderful creature constructed almost entirely of love. She can express it in a million ways from hugs and kisses and good cooking and patient listening, to stern lectures and strict rules and repeated use of the word "no". Like snowflakes, no two Mothers are alike but they have a number of things In common.
A Mother cares about, and cares for almost everything--gardens, pets, the state of the nation, the worn spot on the rug, hungry people, and most of all her children. For these she can do anything, dare anything, and fight for anything necessary for their happiness. A Mother has a purity of soul; she has faith, tenderness, supreme patience, she is a companion, she is trustworthy, she is kind, she is loving, she is loyal, and she is righteous. She has unselfish devotion to her children- these and every other virtue that contribute to ideal motherhood, I associate with you, Mother.
A Mother can be found washing it, hanging it, roasting it, tending it, sewing it, canning it, polishing it, getting rid of it, repairing it, packing it, teaching it, singing it, redecorating it, loving it, or talking it over to someones house. Spending 3 Summers on top of an Oregon mountaintop with no running water or electricity with 5 small children and hired men to feed – no problem. Whatever the task, My MOTHER DID IT ALL and did it beautifully.
My Mother loves fabric and can sew anything! She made almost all of our clothes growing up and I don't think we appreciated that nearly enough. Many nights she would be sewing into the wee hours of the morning. I later found out this was her 'alone' time and she greatly cherished it.
Growing up, Mother made bread [with lard or baking grease kept in a can by the stove of course] often -which she baked in used round shortening cans; usually 6-8 loaves/cans at a time. We kids would jump off the school bus and race inside so we could have some fresh – hot from the oven- homemade bread with butter and homemade jam of course. She was always waiting with a smile and asked how our day was.
Her love of the gospel is Immense. She gives 150% In every calling she was asked to do. Her testimony never wavers and she lives what she believes. She is an inspiration to me. My Mother is an elite grand lady with the highest of standards. She is always positive, full of life, a good sport, a perfect example of service. I can say I literally 'grew up at the church'. We went to church twice on Sundays [Sunday school in the morning and Sacrament meeting in the evening], Primary on Tuesday, MIA on Wednesday, Scouts on Thursdays, and then there was early morning Seminary at 7:00 at the church. My mom was always the President of something, therefore she would have to be there early and leave late for meetings. We used to say that our car ran on prayer. My mom always only put in $2.00 and our red light was always on. I was always worried we would run out of gas but she never was.  We would sometimes split a stick of mint gum on our way to church – a special treat!
My Mother was always baking something and we would ask her if it was for the church or for us. Sometimes it was for us! My mother made me the best grilled cheese sandwiches and paired them with her home canned tomato soup when I was sick. She also makes the best chicken and dumplings soup which I have tried to duplicate but never quite exceed. For my birthdays growing up she would make me either a cherry pie or a red velvet cake from scratch.
We always sat down to eat together as a family and always said a blessing on the food. Mother always wore an apron when she cooked and we usually had a freshly ironed tablecloth on the table when we ate. My mother usually wore a dress along with high heels,. She always fixed her hair and looked pretty, even if it was doing the ironing. She would dampen the clothes to be ironed and roll them up in a big bag and let them sit awhile. We even ironed pillowcases then! She would ring out loads of laundry by hand so she could make the soap last for more loads, then she would rinse everything and hang it on the line. She would have made a good Pioneer.
We didn't have a lot of money and sometimes we barely got by, but Mother always made the best of things and somehow we had plenty to eat. She canned everything and the only thing we ever store bought was baking supplies and occasionally cornflakes and bananas which were for Sunday mornings only.
My mother is a devoted Mother, Grandmother and Great Grandmother. When the children and grandchildren visit nothing else matters. She loves it when we come over to run through the Irrigation water in her back yard or to pick raspberries or currents or anything from her wonderful garden.
My Mother makes everyone feel like they are the most Important thing In her life. No two mothers are alike and I'm so glad you are MY MOTHER! Happy Mother's Day Mom. Thank you for all you do for me! I love you!

1 comment:

Christy said...

Oh dear. How about we go on a token shopping trip where I express my deep feelings of gratitude for you through gifts????