Thursday, September 11, 2014

Canning Peaches!

Every year I try to can a few peaches (we did 150 ears of corn last week - why does everything need done the same time?!) and I always have to stop and think how to do it (after 35 years you would think I would remember how long to process them) so this year I am writing it down so I will have it in my book! We got the most beautiful peaches from Emmett. These peaches are very large and beautiful - not to mention delicious!!! I usually can Hales or Albertas. These are Albertas. You can have 2 canners going at the same time if you start them back to back.

Here are my step by step instructions with pictures:


The day before I want to can I wash all my jars and I make sure I have enough lids. I get out my canner(s) jar and lid lifters. I also bleach my sink the night before! A clean organized work space is a must! I also have my steam mop standing by just in case of of a sticky floor.






get your beautiful peaches and place them in the sink with stopper. If the peaches are large - plan on 2 to a jar or if smaller, then 3 to a jar. Do not put more peaches than you need in the sink. I always have a couple of spares nearby if needed... but you don't want all your peaches to turn brown!






Turn on a half full canner of water and bring to a boil. Put the exact amount of lids in a small pan of water and let boil a few minutes. Then turn off. While the water is boiling (to scald the peaches) get your work station ready. This method works best! sink then cutting board on towels with a bowl for pits and skins, then have your clean jars ready, then your sugar water ( I used this red pitcher and filled it just to the line. I used 2 cups of sugar this time. Next time I think I will add in some lemon juice and pour some into the jars before I add in any peaches. Sometimes I don't put in any sugar. I also sit the pan of lids just behind the sugar water.








Pour the boiling hot water over the peaches to scald them so the skins will just slip off. Fill the canner half way full of hot water and put it on the stove but don't turn it on yet. Let the hot water sit on the peaches for 1-2 minutes then drain. Run cold water as it drains and then fill the sink up with the cold water. The peaches will look brownish.



After a few minutes drain out the cold water and let the peaches drain in the sink. Get a peach and cut it opposite of the natural curve. I know others say to cut it around the natural curve but this way there is the edge of the pit to grab onto and pull it out. Using a filet knife I pull the skins off. This is the magic part. They come right off! Then slice the peaches on the cutting board. I cut mine into semi-large ones - each half into 9 pieces - because these were giant ones!






Place sliced peaches into a jar. These peaches were so large it only took 2! Then shake the peaches down, pour the sugar water until 1/2 inch space at the top of the jars, wipe around the top of the jar with a damp rag, get a lid with the lid lifter and place on the jar, add a ring and then place the jar in the canner on the stove. Repeat until all jars are filled. I turn on the heat when I have 5 jars done. When water reaches a boil start timing. 45 minutes for me since I'm at a higher altitude.








 After the 45 minutes is up raise the peaches up halfway in the canner and place a dishtowel over the top and let cool a bit. Then remove the jars one at a time with the jar lifter. I place my jars in a pan covered with a bath towel - just in case a jar breaks. I have never had one do that but just in case! I use the peach water after canning to scald my new batch of peaches in the sink.
  




These peaches are just too pretty! Also - remember to soak your fingertips in lemon juice for 15 minutes to turn your yellow nails back to white.

1 comment:

jayna said...

Yes! I'm glad you did! Love your canned peaches!